Thursday, December 21, 2017

Wonder-ful

The suburbs get a bad rap.  For decades now, it's been conventional wisdom that the suburbs are bland, boring, cookie-cutter places full of middle-brow people living cookie-cutter lives.  This view is so common that it is itself a cliche.

I'm here to tell you that if you look closely, you can see mysteries and wonders even on the streets of a cookie-cutter subdivision, such as the one I live in.  On my morning walks I've been taking photos of some of the sights that make me tilt my head and mutter, "Whaaaaat?"  In this season of wonder I thought I'd share them with you.

Garbage day always brings out an interesting assortment of stuff.

Harry is trying to figure out what manner of creature this is. 

Love the juxtaposition of the toy racing car and the "active lumbar" chair!

The neighborhood is full of kids playing their mysterious games.  Who knows what "let's pretend"  called for this assortment of things in the front yard?


Poised on the edge of city and country, the suburbs will of course contain wonders of nature.  I am appreciative of those neighbors whose gardening talents far outstrip mine and whose gardens bless us all.



On very rare occasions I spot wildlife (other than squirrels).  Deer are common in some suburbs, but I've only seen them twice in 15 years in my neighborhood.



At this time of year decorative deer make an appearance, along with puddles of deflated plastic that must be wonderful to someone!



A foggy morning the other day transformed the usual scene into a place of mystery.



On my recent total art immersion weekend in New York City, I was struck by the notion that great art strikes us with wonder at seeing something we haven't seen before or presents something familiar in a new, wonder-ful way.

May this season and the new year treat you to many such experiences of wonder.  Thank you for your kind attention to these musings! 

No comments: